Quote of the Day

11.16.2012

The annual Thanksgiving Checklist: 10 people, my house

Time for the annual Thanksgiving post.  I print it an put it on my cupboard door and then, when my brain freezes over, I just do the next thing.




because proper preparation and planning prevents poor performance!


at least 1 week before
1. purchase free-range turkey
2. finalize menu

  • pumpkin soup - Jamie & I
  • green salad of some sort - Jamie and I 
  • marshmallow salad - mom
  • green bean casserole - mom
  • mashed potatoes - Jamie & I
  • Roast Butternut Squash  - mil
  • turkey - Jamie & I
  • dressing - Jamie & I
  • gravy - Jamie & I
  • bread/rolls - Jamie & I
  • dessert: pecan pie, pumpkin pie, apple dumplings - Jamie & I
  • beverages - brother
  • Trader Joe's cranberry sauce - brother
2. make up grocery list
3. make and freeze pie crusts
4. timeline food prep
5. confirm that the food thermometer works

Monday
1. grocery shop


Tuesday
1. make mashed potatoes
2. roast pumpkins
3. make pumpkin soup
4. mix up brine


Wednesday
1. pick up turkey
2. brine big turkey
3. mix up turkey rub
4. make dressing
5. prep sweet potatoes
6. mix up pecan pie filling
7. stage apple dumplings

Thursday
1. remove potatoes from fridge
2. rub down turkey if you didn't brine
3. make bread rolls
4. run & empty dishwasher
5. confirm garbage can is empty
6. sweep front porch and walk
7. stage tea station


12:00
1. make a thermos of coffee & prep coffee maker for next round
2. make sure you have eaten something sustaining
3. check your clothes: are you bespattered?

12:45
1. confirm small lamps and candles are on/lit
2. confirm dishwasher is empty
3. turn on coffee pot

2:00
1. dine

3:00
1. rest whilst others clean up.

5:00
1. set out desserts
2. receive second wave of guests.
3. listen to bluegrass jam session and chatter in a happy daze.

2 comments:

audible said...

Marshmallow salad? I wonder if it's anything like the "white salad" my mom made way back when- a 50's style combo of mini-marshmallows, whipped cream, and various canned fruits, maraschino cherries, and slivered almonds.

I don't know if we'll have time to celebrate Thanksgiving this year. It's just so much effort when you live in a country where obtaining turkey and an oven large enough to cook it in takes some real effort and money.

Hope yours is most wonderful this year. Eat an extra slice of pie for me and Olive.

Suzanne said...

That's the one. I don't care for it, but Dad and Andy love it. And it is pretty.