Quote of the Day

9.16.2009

egg poacher


Have you ever tried to peel a hard-boiled egg that just would not cooperate? Do you know why some eggs are like that? Hard-to-peel eggs are eggs that are boiled too fresh. Eggs over three weeks old peel easily, younger eggs not so much.

This, we have found, is the one downside to having farm-fresh eggs. We are not organized enough to age our eggs, so we end up poaching them, which generates hard-to-clean egg poaching pans.

No more! With these delightful Poach Pods, we poach, turn it inside out to remove the egg, and then wipe it down. It's my new favorite kitchen gadget.

6 comments:

Kim from Hiraeth said...

I just watched a video recently on how to shell hard boiled eggs. After the eggs are boiled and drained, try filling the pan with cold water and cracking each egg and returning them to the pan. Let stand for a few minutes and the shells should peel right off. I've tried it myself and it works great (however I have know idea how old my eggs were. . .) It's worth a try!

Rachael said...

Wow - did not know that about the egg peeling, though I've often wondered why that is! I guess I've learned my tidbit for the day!

karamjit said...

It is for the first time i am hearing about egg peeling. It is indeed a great experience you shared with me. Definitely many people will like it indeed and would be thankful to you for sharing such a great experience.

Suzanne said...

I tried the cold water trick and it does not work on too-fresh eggs. Alas.

Jennifer said...

Here's a trick...leave your too fresh eggs out on the counter overnight. They aren't so fresh the next day and peel when hardboiled.

Unknown said...

Has anyone ever mentioned that turned upside down, these little poaching pans look an awful lot like a green Darth Vader helmet? For a very small Darth Vader? or is it just me...