Quote of the Day

9.28.2008

Fisher King

We watched Fisher King the other night, whilst my thoughtful sis and bro-in-law took the kids to a play. At first I HATED the movie and the only reason I didn't get up and go find something else to do was that I was too weary to crawl out of the easy-chair. I hated it because it was bringing a loud egocentric jerk and his yucky lifestyle into my living room. No thanks.



But then, it changed; it became a very enjoyable and thought-provoking movie. Aforementioned jerk gets thrown in with some crazy street people and (resisting every bit of the way) learns to care for someone other than himself. At some point he rants to Perry -- his now-catatonic crazy friend -- that Perry has it easy, all he has to do is lie there while Jack-the-jerk has to slog through his glam day and his glam relationship all the while wondering why he feels so empty inside.

And there's some romance and some humor and some Arthurian legend and some tragedy thrown in too. Robin Williams plays the crazy guy and does a quite nice job of it. I recommend it a mere 17 years after it came out. I don't watch many movies, okay?

~Suzanne

Technorati

No comments: