Quote of the Day

7.22.2008

So Brave, Young & Handsome by Leif Enger

This is Leif Enger's second book. His first, Peace Like a River, would be a hard act to follow as it was a practically perfect book. I enjoyed So Brave, Young and Handsome: A Novel, but I didn't love it.



Monte Beckett is a one-shot author. He wrote one best-selling book, quit his day-job at the post office and then flailed about. He is the sort of man I do not like, a man who lets life circumstances form his choices, as opposed to making choices that form his life circumstances. Fortunately for him, he married a woman not like me at all.

The book opens with Monte notices a man floating past him on the river. Though not immediately, Monte joins the man on his venture. His new companion is an outlaw, trying to go make amends with an abandoned wife before the law catches up with him.

Twas a good, though not great, read. I'd recommend putting it on hold at the library rather than running into town to purchase it. I'm sorry Mr. Enger. I loved Peace Like a River so much that I feel sad to not be able to rave over this one.

~Suzanne

No comments: