Quote of the Day

9.28.2007

Friday Poetry: Mrs. Browish Beetle


Today's selection is Mrs. Brownish Beetle and it comes to us from, Hey Bug! and Other Poems About Little Things edited by Elizabeth M. Itse and illustrated by Susan Carlton Smith.


Mrs. Browish Beetle

When it was October
and a hard frost came,
Mrs. Brownish Beetle
(I don't know her other name)
said: "Dear me, it's chilly."
said: "My coat is thin,"
said: "Land sakes, I'd better find
a place to cuddle in."

So Mrs. Brownish Beetle,
after several tries,
found a hole beneath a stone
that was a beetles' size,
and said: "Oh my, how lucky,"
said: "How very nice,"
said: "I'll snuggle down away
from wind and snow and ice.

"I'll set my clock at April,"
Mrs. Beetle said,
"I'll wind it up and put it here
beside my little bed."
So Mrs. Brownish Beetle
(I don't know her other name)
nestled down and went to sleep
and slept till April came.

~Aileen Fisher






Here is the coding if you want a button with a link to this week's round-up.




~Suzanne



:: this post is part of the Friday Poetry roundup hosted by AmoXcalli.

No comments: