Quote of the Day

8.05.2007

Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien

Last night I read The Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien; I loved it, though it was a slow starter.

I dutifully read the introduction which was supposed to be a helpful aid, but was instead a mind-numbing litany of linages and alliances, none of which stuck in my head. With relief I finally started Chapter One and was bored to death for the first 50-60 pages, reading on only because I had spent my husband's hard-earned money on the book.

Then the story started, and it was a right good one. I fell asleep with visions of dragons and orcs and ill-fated maidens and valiant-but-flawed heroes. It was a grand adventure and I do indeed recommend it. Just skip the intro, slog through the first bit, and brace yourself for the Shakespearian ending.



~Suzanne





Social Bookmarking



Make my Day! Share this post with Digg Make my Day! Share this post with Del.icio.us Make my Day! Share this post with Reddit Make my Day! Share this post with StumbleUpon Make my Day! Share this post with Yahoo Make my Day! Share this post with Technorati Information

No comments: